From 1527 to 1809, the Castle of Mergentheim was the Grand and German Master of the Teutonic Order’s residence. In 1996, the Deutschordensmuseum was reopened here on around 3,000 m². With works of art, models, objects and texts, the history of the Teutonic Order is clearly represented from the beginnings in 1190 up to the present day, including their campaigns in the Holy Land, Prussia and the Holy Roman Empire.
You get an impression of the former grandeur of the Deutschorden (Teutonic Order) in the royal rooms of the castle. From its eventful history of the castle’s construction, the Berwart spiral staircase and porticos bear witness to the Renaissance period, the ‘gods room’ and New State Rooms from the Rococo period, and the chapter hall and main staircase from Classicism. The jewel of the residence is the castle church, which was contributed to by important artists such as Balthasar Neumann and François de Cuvilliès.
It shows the history of Bad Mergentheim from the time of the Frankish settlement up to its present status as a spa town. In addition, there is an exhibition in the castle comprising Middle Age sculptures and panel painting, exotica, faience, alabaster and marble reliefs from the Renaissance and Baroque periods, precious smaller items of furniture, artisan craftwork and curiosa by Freiherr Carl Joseph von Adelsheim, as well as a collection of 40 doll kitchens, parlours, houses and shops (19th/20th century). The Mörike-Kabinett can be found in the town’s history section. It is devoted to the Swabian poet’s seven-year residence, amongst other things.