In the 19th century the square was newly created. As part of this redesign, the sculptor Franz Th. Pfeiffer created the Marienbrunnen Fountain in 1855.
It was built by the town as a secondary school of the Teutonic Order under Grand Master Franz Ludwig von Pfalz – Neuburg from 1700 to 1702. From 1753 to 55, it was rebuilt due to damage to the foundations and in 1790 another storey was built.
The church was built in the 14th century by the Dominican Order and renovated and reopened in 2016.
Here, there is a plaque in memory of the Swabian poet Eduard Mörike, who lived in Mergentheim from 1844 to 1851, where he met his later wife, Gretchen von Speeth, whom he married in the Schlosskirche in 1851.
The 21 year-old Beethoven played here with the Chancellor of the Order Breunig’s family on the occasion of a General Chapter of the Teutonic Order in 1791. At that time, he was a viola player in the court orchestra of the Grand Master Maximilian Franz of Austria.