Since the end of the 17th century, the residential district for Jewish citizens was concentrated around the current Holzapfelgasse, which until the 19th century was also named the Jewish Quarter. Where the girl’s St. Bernhard secondary school stands today is where the synagogue and the Rabbi’s house was located up until 1957. It also included a school where, up until 1934/35, Jewish children were given their religious education.
In 1207, the right of patronage was transferred from Albert von Hohenlohe to the Order of Saint John at Johanneskirche. It is assumed that a hospital existed at this time. In 1340, the German Master Wolfgang von Nellenburg was named as benefactor of the hospital (see small stone tablet in the western façade).
The Johanniterhof is one of the oldest squares in the town. The building complex set up like a courtyard was a Frankish Earl’s court in the Middle Ages (8th century).
The fountain is the town’s landmark. Following restoration of the figure and with a new basin, it was erected on this spot in 1926 in celebration of the 100-year anniversary of the discovery of the mineral springs and in recognition of the town’s spa status.
The construction of the Old Town Hall is closely linked to the history of the Teutonic Order. The striking Renaissance building was built between 1562 and 1564 by order of the German Master Wolfgang Schutzbar from the Teutonic Order.