2. Münster St. Johannes, Kirchstraße
Ever since it was built, the Johanneskirche has been the people’s church (in contrast to the Hofkirche [Court Church]) in the castle and the Marienkirche in the Dominican monastery). The Order of Saint John played a significant part as patron in its construction. In place of the former chapel, which was consecrated to St. Kilian, it was built according to the latest research between 1270 and 1290 and was made the Catholic Münsterkirche (Minster Church) in 1983. In the years that followed, numerous renovations and alteration work changed its original spatial impact.
The aisles and the beautiful chancel are still, however, in their original state. The vaulting of the nave, which had previously spanned a flat ceiling, didn’t happen until 1584. The so-called ‘Eck’sche Kapelle’ can be found north of the chancel with the benefactor’s tomb. The church treasure is exhibited on the upper floor (visit by arrangement with the Catholic priest’s office). Outside, the “Mergentheimer Elle” (cubit) at the pilaster of the western gable. The church stood in the middle of the first, ancient cemetery up until the plague in 1541.