The two houses opposite the Old Town Hall are called twin houses. Built in 1780 in early-classical style, the buildings are almost identical architecturally and are connected to each other via an arched portal. The town’s high design and development requirement in force at the time is clear to see.
Ever since it was built, the Johanneskirche has been the people’s church (in contrast to the Hofkirche [Court Church]) in the castle and the Marienkirche in the Dominican monastery). The Order of Saint John played a significant part as patron in its construction. In place of the former chapel, which was consecrated to St. Kilian, it was built according to the latest research between 1270 and 1290 and was made the Catholic Münsterkirche (Minster Church) in 1983. In the years that followed, numerous renovations and alteration work changed its original spatial impact.
The magnificent emblem over the entrance gate reminds you of the fact that this property once belonged to the Cistercian Order of Schöntal. The current building and chapel, which is characterised by a portal, date back to the 18th century.
A doctor called Dr Anton Stützle lived in the half-timbered house. He was a close friend of the priest and ‘water doctor’ Sebastian Kneipp.
In 1740, Grand Master Clemens August (1723-1761) had a plague column built near the ‘Mühlwehrtor’ Gate.